**Welcome to Birdathon 2018! The Kickoff Dinner will take place on Saturday, March 24, as a mini-competition to get the spirit of Birdathon going! RSVP coming soon - keep checking the main Birdathon page.**
• Anyone can participate, including SCVAS members and non-members; Birdathon Committee members; volunteers; SCVAS staff and members of the Board of Directors.
• Although SCVAS staff and members of the Board of Directors can participate and place in the competition, they are prohibited from receiving any Most Money Prizes; if they do place in the competition, their allotted prize will go to the next eligible participant.
• SCVAS staff and members of the Board of Directors are eligible to win game prizes at the Awards Dinner.
2. Birding and Team Rules
• Count or photograph bird species with your team on your Birdathon day only within the Birdathon window (March 25-April 29).
• Your Birdathon MUST be done in one contiguous block of time, specified by your Team Category, that encompasses all activities: counting, photographing, driving, walking, biking, eating, breaks, etc.
• You MUST count within Santa Clara County to be eligibile for Most Species and Rarest Bird Award Categories but you can count anywhere in the world to compete for Most Money award categories!
• All teams must consist of at least two members; there is no maximum (unless specified by the leader).
• Join as many teams as you like, but you MUST raise at least $50 per team.
• Team members must stay within sight of each other.
• Bird song tapes and "pishing" are allowed. Please use common sense in using these tactics and never harass birds.
3. Team Categories
• In the Counter's Birdathon, birds can be identified by sight or sound.
• In the Photographer's Birdathon, birds must be identifiable in the photograph taken. Do NOT submit photos.
- 24-Hour Counters - Identify birds between 4- and 24-hours.
- 24-Hour Photography - Photograph birds between 4- and 24-hours.
- 4-Hour Counters - Identify birds between 0- and 4-hours.
- 4-Hour Photography - Photograph birds between 0- and 4-hours.
- Big Sit - identify birds from one 30-foot diameter circle between 0- and 4-hours.
4. Winning Awards
• While we can receive donations anytime, all winners are determined by individual results submitted by each participant before the Results Submission Deadline, May 14 at 5:00PM. We cannot make exceptions for any reason.
• Individual award winners are determined by the sum total of donations by an individual across all teams that the individual participated in.
• All team totals are calculated from submitted individual results for that team.
• We will credit $50 to each team you participate in; any remaining funds will be credited to your designated team.
• Award Categories
- Most Money Raised by Individuals - Your grand total of all money raised for all the teams you join will determine your placement on a prize selection list. The more money you raise, the higher your placement on the list. The committee will contact the top money raisers in the order they appear on the list so that they can choose a prize. Count anywhere in the world to compete for this award.
- Most Money Raised by a Team - The team that raises the most money in each of the 24-hour (Counters and Photographers combined) and 4-hour (Counters and Photographers combined) and Big Sit Categories (Counters) will win a prize AND have their team name engraved on a plaque. Count anywhere in the world to compete for this award.
- Most Species Seen by a Counter's Team - The team that counts the most bird species from each of the 24- and 4-hour and Big Sit Categories will have their team name engraved on a plaque. Count within Santa Clara County only to compete for this award.
- Most Species Photographed by a Team - The team that photographs the most bird species from each of the 24- and 4-hour Categories will have their team name announced at the Birdathon Dinner. You do not have to submit any photographs. Photograph within Santa Clara County only to compete for this award.
- Rarest Bird - The team in any Team Category that spots the most unusual bird will have their team name engraved on a plaque. Photograph (do not submit any photographs) or count within Santa Clara County only to compete for this award.
• Prizes won via the award categories above will be handed out at the Awards Dinner. If you cannot attend the dinner, please make arrangements to pick up your prize at the SCVAS headquarters at McClellan Ranch after the dinner.
• Additional prizes will be given at the Kickoff and Awards Dinner for contests, games, quizzes, or as door prizes. All folks attending the dinner are eligible.
• Any donation sponsoring an entire team will be equally divided among all registered team members.
Questions? Please email email@example.com.